Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Esmeralda Anguiano: " Home" by Tania Peregrino

 Introduction:

Migration is part of life in this planet. Animals migrate to find food, mate, and raise their young. Humans are no different; throughout history humans have migrate to different places in order to provide for their family and survive. Migrating is one of the hardest things for humans. They must detach themselves from their home, family, and everything they know in order to assimilate and thrive in an unknown place. 
The United States has been the most popular destination for migrating families. There are many documents throughout history depicting and describing life as an immigrant in the U.S. Many themes remain constant throughout the years and I wanted to see what remained the same, what changed, and what is new. For this, I interviewed Esmeralda  Anguiano, an immigrant from Mexico who came to the United States 18 years ago. When she came, she instantly noticed the differences between her homeland, Mexico, and the place she now had to call home.



Table of Contents

1. Hollywood vs Reality
2. Assimilation
3. American Family
4. Home



Hollywood vs Reality 

In the first segment of the interview, Esmeralda compares the image of U.S conveyed by Hollywood to her experiences.



Questions:
What was your first impression of the U.S?
E: It was different... too many McDonald's
Was it like the movies you saw back home?
E:Yes, with the cars and the people.
How is it compared to your home country?
E: My home country seems like a happier place. The people are happier, there is a sense of community. Not that I don't think there isn't people here that have a community, but I don't feel the same type of support by the community here.


Assimilation


In the third segment of the interview, Esmeralda speaks about the challenges she faced and how she coped with leaving her homeland.



Why did you decided to come here?
E: The lack of opportunities in my country led me to move. 
What where the challenges you faced when you moved here?
E: Language was and still is a huge challenge. When I first came here, it was hard to find a job, housing, or anything.Now that I have learned some English, those things are easy but you still feel like you don't belong. 
Is there another challenge with assimilation?
E: you have to get use to the idea that the majority of your family isn't with you, everyone is so far and it's very hard to be in a strange place by yourself.



American Family


In the fourth segment of the interview, Esmeralda speaks of the effect U.S culture has had on her family. Turns out that Hispanic home culture is very different from the american household.




You have daughters, how has the US influenced them?
E: Well, its hard to say. I mean, they listen to music in English, watch English speaking movies, but that seems normal.
 Do they speak Spanish or embrace the Latino culture?
They do speak Spanish, more of a Spanglish type. They like Mexican food, and like their culture. 
In the US, children have more freedom, how does this affect your household and the relationship with your daughters?
E: Well here, I see that children aren't as respectful or mindful of their elders. They hardly greet people. They have freedom but sometimes they seem to abuse it. Parents can ask for help around the house but children won't help. My daughters are more independent, perhaps better off than how they would've been in Mexico. They do like to be by themselves a lot. But there still a sense of family union. 
Do you think this is due to education:
E: I think the schools confuse children. They are taught that they have many rights but I don't think they are taught how to use them righteously. Children tend misbehave more here but I don't think children should be spanked or have any physical punishment to learn the difference between right and wrong.
E: What do you think of the american household?
E: They seem to spend less time together and when children reach a certain age, they leave. Everyone goes their separate way too early and I don't like that. I feel like Latino and Hispanic homes are more unified. 


Home

In the last section of the interview, Esmeralda reflects upon her life in the past 18 years, and the present. 



You've been living in the US for about 18 years, is this home?
E: it is home for the most part, I have half of my family here although I wish I could see them more often. I think home is wherever your family is. 
Would you do it again?
E: Yes, I would come here again. I came here so that my family could have a chance to be successful. 
Do you regret coming here?
E: I don't regret it, it's just hard to be in a place and not be able to see your family as often as you wish you could, especially if one of your family members is sick. I don't regret the decision I made. I have much to be grateful and much to thank to this country. If I had all my family with me, I would be happier.